What You Need to Know About Post-Divorce Modifications in Maryland

What You Need to Know Abo…

In the months and years following a divorce, former spouses often find that as their lives change, the terms initially negotiated in their divorce agreement no longer accurately reflect their current situation in life. Because of this, spouses will very often seek what is known as a post-divorce modification, or a post-judgment modification to adjust their divorce terms to better suit their current circumstances. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Maryland family law attorney to learn more about post-divorce modifications and how we can help you get one.

What scenarios may qualify for a post-divorce modification in Maryland?

  • One former spouse comes into money: If your former spouse received a promotion, got a new, higher-paying job, received a large inheritance, or even won the lottery, there is a very good chance that the terms negotiated in your initial alimony agreement may warrant a modification.
  • Your child has a change in his or her schedule: If your child has recently taken up an extra-curricular activity, such as a sport, it may warrant a change in your initial child custody agreement to better suit your child's needs.
  • Your child is exposed to an incident of abuse: If you can prove that your former spouse either exposed your child to an incident of domestic abuse, or even if you can prove that your former spouse has a substance issue or is somehow no longer parentally fit, there is a very good chance that you may receive a child custody modification.
  • Your child reaches a certain age: Once a child reaches a certain age in Maryland, he or she may be considered emancipated by the state, meaning that child may no longer qualify for child support payments. Usually, this age is 18, however, if your child is attending college or another form of higher education, you may ask the court to continue child support payments until the child graduates.
  • One spouse has remarried or is cohabitating with another person: If your former spouse remarried or is living with a new partner and you are the supporting spouse, you may request a modification to your alimony agreement on the grounds that your former spouse no longer needs the additional financial support.

As long as you hire a knowledgeable Maryland divorce attorney who can prove that there has been a significant and ongoing change in circumstances, you should be granted the post-divorce modification you deserve.

Contact our experienced Maryland firm

Here at the Ruben Law Firm, we understand how much your legal situation means to you. That is why we pledge to provide you with the personalized attention you deserve, every step of the way. Our firm is more than happy to assist you through matters of personal injury law, bankruptcy, family law, criminal defense, and estate planning. Attorney Ruben has helped clients achieve favorable results in a wide array of legal matters for years, and he is ready to do the same for you. Simply contact the Ruben Law Firm today.