Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal Injury Attorney in Baltimore, MD
Every day, many people living and working in Baltimore and surrounding communities of Maryland experience various types of injuries. Some of these incidents happen due to no fault of any party in particular, while others are the direct results of negligence and misconduct. When a personal injury occurs, the victim must understand their rights and the legal options that might help them recover.
Legal Counsel for Baltimore, MD, Personal Injury Claims
If you or a loved one is recovering from injuries someone else caused in the Baltimore, MD, area, the team at Ruben Law Firm can assist in your recovery efforts. Our firm has successfully represented many clients in complex personal injury cases, and we can leverage this experience on your behalf. We understand you have lots of pressing legal questions about your recovery options after a personal injury. Our firm can provide the guidance and advice you need to approach your case with peace of mind.
Benefits of Hiring a Baltimore Personal Injury Attorney
Legal counsel you can trust with your case is an invaluable asset, no matter what your personal injury claim entails. An experienced attorney can help you meet all the procedural demands of your case, such as court filings and meeting other deadlines with the Baltimore, MD, civil court. This allows you to focus on your recovery and household obligations confidently, knowing your case is in capable hands. In addition, as your claim unfolds, the team at the Ruben Law Firm provides responsive communication and ongoing updates, keeping you informed of your progress toward recovery.
Any personal injury can be incredibly disruptive to the life of the victim and the lives of their family. When you have legal representation you can trust, you are better prepared to meet the unique challenges your case presents and approach the situation with clarity and confidence. Your injury may have required expensive medical care and prevented you from working. Medical bills and the inability to work can quickly create financial strain on any household. When another party’s negligence or misconduct has put you in this situation, you have the right to seek accountability.
Hiring an experienced Baltimore personal injury attorney to handle your case is the best way to not only increase your likelihood of success with your claim but also to maximize your final recovery. A good lawyer could uncover channels of recovery you may not have realized on your own. They will also ensure that no procedural delays interfere with your claim. Ultimately, after any personal injury, it is best to address your immediate medical needs and reach out to an experienced Baltimore personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Commonly Filed Personal Injury Claims in Baltimore, MD
The Ruben Law Firm has years of experience handling many types of personal injury claims on behalf of our clients in the Baltimore, MD, area. When you need legal representation for a personal injury claim, you must select an attorney familiar with cases like yours. Our firm represents personal injury claims pertaining to:
- Car accidents. Car accidents are a leading cause of injuries and accidental deaths throughout the United States. Maryland state law requires all drivers to carry auto insurance, but an insurance claim may not fully cover the damages from a serious accident. Distracted driving, speeding, and driving under the influence (DUI) are just a few of the most commonly cited causes of car accidents in the Baltimore area. A Baltimore personal injury attorney is an invaluable asset when you must take legal action outside of auto insurance to resolve your car accident damages.
- Truck accidents. Commercial trucks are much larger than most other vehicles, meaning severe injuries and fatalities are more likely when these vehicles cause accidents as opposed to when smaller passenger vehicles cause accidents. As a result, truck accident claims often raise difficult questions of liability, and a Baltimore personal injury lawyer can provide essential guidance for this challenging type of case.
- Motorcycle accidents. When a motorcycle accident happens, the motorcyclist is likely to sustain life-changing injuries. If another party bears liability for a motorcycle accident that injured you or a loved one, an experienced attorney can significantly improve your chances of holding the at-fault party accountable.
- Dog bite injuries. Maryland enforces a strict liability statute when it comes to injuries caused by dogs. This means a dog’s owner absorbs full liability for any injuries their pet causes to another person. This rule applies as long as the victim did not make any aggressive moves toward the dog or its owner or provoke the attack in any way. Additionally, the victim must have been lawfully present at the location of the attack for strict liability to apply. Dog owners are not liable for injuries their pets cause to intruders or trespassers.
- Premises liability. Property owners can face liability for injuries sustained by visitors to their properties. For example, if you suffered a slip and fall or similar injury on someone else’s property in the Baltimore, MD, area, the property owner is likely liable for your injuries. A premises liability claim is a personal injury claim that focuses on the duty of care a property owner owes to their lawful visitors, guests, or customers.
- Catastrophic injuries. Any injury resulting in a permanent disability, permanent disfigurement, or diminished quality of life can qualify as “catastrophic.” When a plaintiff has suffered a life-changing injury that may demand ongoing medical care and prevent them from working, the defendant faces liability for both immediate and long-term damages their actions cause.
- Wrongful death. When the victim of a personal injury does not survive their experience, their surviving loved ones can pursue a wrongful death claim instead of a personal injury claim. While a wrongful death case is reflective of a personal injury claim in many ways, these civil claims are very different in other ways and demand the attention of experienced legal counsel.
The Ruben Law Firm provides personalized and responsive legal counsel to every client we represent in Baltimore, MD. However, if another party is responsible for your recent personal injury, you may need to navigate a complex insurance claim or other legal motions before you can proceed with a personal injury suit.
Proving Liability for a Personal Injury in Maryland
Success with your impending personal injury claim hinges on your ability to prove liability for your damages. Most personal injury cases revolve around acts of “negligence” or failure to exercise reasonable care and caution in a specific situation. The majority of people have various duties of care they fulfill without thinking about it every day, such as the duty of care to drive attentively and without intoxication from drugs or alcohol. The term “negligence” defines a failure to exercise reasonable care that a person would be expected to display in a specific situation.
To win your personal injury case, you must identify the party or parties you believe to be responsible for your damages. Next, you must prove the defendant held some duty of care that they breached or failed to uphold. Finally, you must prove the defendant’s negligence or intentional misconduct directly caused the damages you have listed in your complaint.
It’s very important to understand Maryland’s negligence rule if you intend to pursue any type of personal injury claim. The state enforces a contributory negligence law that can seem harsh in any case involving questionable fault. If a plaintiff bears any responsibility whatsoever for causing the damages listed in their claim, the state’s contributory negligence statute prohibits their recovery. They cannot seek compensation from the defendant even if the defendant is more at fault for the incident. If you are worried for any reason that you may bear partial liability for your recent personal injury, you must meet with a Baltimore personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Damages and Compensation for Baltimore, MD, Personal Injury Plaintiffs
Maryland law is somewhat rigid when it comes to the compensation available to plaintiffs in personal injury cases. Generally, a plaintiff can hold a defendant accountable for all their economic losses. However, pain and suffering compensation is capped by state law. Each year, the limits on non-economic damages in personal injury claims change to reflect inflation. Different limits are enforced for standard personal injury claims, wrongful death claims, wrongful death claims with survival actions, and wrongful death claims with dependents.
Your Baltimore personal injury attorney will help you determine the limits on non-economic damages that apply to your case and guide you through the legal proceedings necessary for holding the defendant accountable. The economic damages available to plaintiffs in most Maryland personal injury cases include:
- Medical treatment costs. When a defendant causes an illness or physical injury to another victim, they are responsible for any and all medical expenses resulting from the situation. This includes immediate and long-term expenses if the victim requires ongoing or permanent medical care for their injuries.
- Lost wages. A personal injury could prevent the victim from working until they recover. The defendant is liable for income lost during this time, and they may also face liability for the victim’s lost future earning capacity if they caused permanent harm. Your Baltimore personal injury attorney will be a crucial resource for determining your projected future losses from your personal injury.
- Property losses. When a defendant has damaged or destroyed the plaintiff’s personal property, they are responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing that property. For example, if a defendant’s auto insurance cannot fully cover the cost of your vehicle, a personal injury claim can hold them accountable for your outstanding property damages.
The plaintiff in a personal injury case also has the right to compensation for the physical pain and psychological suffering they experienced. However, state law limits the amount they can claim, and the plaintiff should prepare compelling evidence to demonstrate the scope and severity of their experience. Hiring an experienced Baltimore personal injury attorney is the best way to improve your chances of success with your claim and maximize the total compensation you obtain from the defendant.
Common Questions About Baltimore Personal Injury Claims
It’s natural to have many complex questions about your legal options following a personal injury. The Ruben Law Firm offers individualized legal counsel to Baltimore clients who are unsure of their rights and options for recovery. The following are some of the most common questions we hear from prospective clients about their personal injury cases.
Q: How Much Is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
A: Your case’s total potential value hinges on the extent of your economic damages and the severity of your experience overall. You have the right to seek full repayment of all your economic losses, and the defendant is liable for your pain and suffering as well. Working with an experienced Baltimore personal injury attorney is the best way to maximize the case award you obtain.
Q: How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Baltimore Personal Injury Attorney?
A: It’s understandable to worry about the potential cost of hiring an attorney when you are already struggling with the economic aftermath of your personal injury. The Ruben Law Firm offers contingency fee billing to our personal injury clients. This means you pay no upfront legal fees, and we only accept an attorney’s fee once we win your case. The contingency fee is a percentage of your case award, so there is no risk of owing more than you receive from your case.
Q: How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take to Complete?
A: The time your case will require to resolve hinges on the severity of your damages, the availability of evidence to help you prove liability, and the willingness of the defendant to accept responsibility for their actions. If you have a compelling case and the right attorney representing you, it is possible to resolve your claim in weeks. However, if you must resolve your case in litigation, it will take much longer than settlement, and you need an attorney prepared to defend you in court. Ruben Law Firm will estimate your case’s most likely timetable, so you know what to expect as your case unfolds.
Q: Is It Worth Filing a Personal Injury Claim?
A: Many people who suffer personal injuries do not immediately recognize the full scope of their damages. While the average person may calculate damages like property losses or hospital bills, they may struggle to assess the value of the long-term effects of their injury. They may also struggle to determine the best ways of holding a defendant accountable. The typical statute of limitations or time limit for filing a personal injury case is three years from the injury’s date. It is worth taking advantage of a free consultation offer from a trustworthy Baltimore personal injury attorney to determine whether pursuing a personal injury claim would be worth the effort.
Q: Do I Really Need to Hire a Baltimore Personal Injury Attorney?
A: When liability for your recent accident seems perfectly clear, you might wonder whether you can hold the defendant accountable for your losses on your own. While it is technically possible to represent yourself in a personal injury case, doing so while recovering from painful injuries would be incredibly challenging. Working with an experienced Baltimore personal injury lawyer significantly improves your chances of success with your case, and you are more likely to maximize your recovery with their help.
Hopefully, these questions provide a bit of clarity in the aftermath of the personal injury you or a loved one recently experienced. If you believe you have grounds for legal recourse, it is best to start building your case as soon as possible. This preserves the freshness of any physical evidence you may need to win your case, and it will also ensure you meet applicable deadlines with the Baltimore civil court.
What to Expect From Your Baltimore Personal Injury Attorney
Facing the effects of another party’s negligence or misconduct can be distressing and frustrating in several ways. If you find yourself in this situation and are unsure of your best options for legal recourse, you must seek legal counsel from a reliable attorney as soon as possible. The right attorney can provide invaluable guidance, helping you understand your recovery options and taking the first steps toward the compensation you need from your experience.
Let Our Firm Help You Explore All Your Options
The Ruben Law Firm has successfully represented many past clients in all manner of personal injury claims. We take time to learn as much as possible about every client’s unique situation. We will continuously update you on your case’s progress, allowing you to focus on your medical needs, your household, and your professional obligations as we handle your claim proceedings. Our goal is to help you approach your case confidently and reach a positive result that appropriately satisfies your damages. To explore your options for legal recourse with the help of an experienced Baltimore personal injury attorney, contact the Ruben Law Firm today and schedule a free consultation with our team.
- Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
- Visit our Maryland Accident Center website at: www.MdAccidentCenter.com
- View All Auto Accident Related Blog Posts
Watch these short videos to get to know attorney David L. Ruben: