Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to my drivers license if I am arrested for DUI?

In Maryland, being arrested for a drunk driving offense can lead to separate suspensions of your drivers license. The first has to do with taking or not taking the breath test. If you are pulled over, take the test, and blow between a .08 and a .15, for a first offense you are subject to a 45 day suspension. However, with that type of suspension, if you work, are in an alcohol education or treatment program or attend school, you can ask for the ability to drive to and from those activities during the 45 day period. If you blow over a .15, you are subject to a 90 day suspension for a first offense, but you are not permitted to drive at all during the 90 day period. If you refuse the test, you are subject to a 120 day suspension, no restrictions, however, you do have the right to ask for the ignition interlock system in your car for a period of one year.

The other type of suspension that can occur as a result of a DUI happens after you go to court. If you are convicted of a DUI/DWI you will receive 8 or 12 points and could be suspended or revoked. For a first offense in Maryland, if you are found guilty, most Judges will strike the guilty finding and enter a probation before judgement. If you are fortunate enough to receive a probation before judgement, you will not get points and you will not be subject to an additional suspension. If you are convicted, you will likely lose your license for a significant period of time.

If I am arrested for assault but the person who charged me does not want to go through with it, what will happen?

Our Maryland criminal attorneys routinely represent people charged with domestic assaults. Some are serious, some are not. Many times, couples get in verbal arguments, get mad at each other and call the police. However, by the time the police get there, they no longer wish to press charges, and do not understand why the police locked up the accused. If you accuse someone of assault, the police will usually charge that person even if you no longer want to press charges. However, when the case goes to court it is sometimes a different story. At that point it is in the hands of the State's Attorney. Sometimes the State's Attorney will drop the case, sometimes he or she will recommend an anger management class. In Maryland, a spouse has the one time right to not testify against another spouse, and that's call taking the marital privilege. If you have been charged with assault and are looking for a Maryland criminal lawyer to assist you, call or e-mail anytime, we are always available.

Do I have to be separated for a year before I can file for an Absolute Divorce in Maryland?

Not always. In Maryland, we have several grounds for divorce. The most common ground is a twelve month separation, which means the married couple has to live in SEPARATE HOUSEHOLDS for more then twelve months before either of them can file for divorce. A common question that people ask our Maryland divorce attorneys is does it count as separation if we live in separation bedrooms?" As of the date that I am writing this (November 22, 2014), the answer is no, and do not be misled by attorneys who tell you otherwise.

The grounds for an Absolute Divorce in Maryland that do not require a twelve month separation are adultery and cruel and vicious conduct. Both are very hard to prove, but the only way to find out if you can and should proceed on those grounds is to call one of our Maryland divorce attorneys who can answer your questions at no cost to you.

If I am separated but it has been less than a year, can I file anything with the court?

Yes. Even if you do not have grounds for an Absolute Divorce, but you are separated, you have the right to file for custody, visitation, child support, alimony and/or use and possession of a home or car. You can also ask your spouse to contribute toward the mortgage before you have grounds for divorce. If you have any questions, you should call one of our Maryland divorce lawyers for a free consultation on any and all family law issues.

What is a Protective Order and what is a Peace Order?

A Protective Order (often called a restraining order) is a court order that a Maryland resident can obtain if they have suffered some type of assault, threat of physical harm, harassment, false imprisonment, stalking or any other act that amounts to abuse. A parent or other third party can also obtain a Protective Order on behalf of a minor child if child abuse has occurred. Maryland law has recently changed and it is now easier to obtain a Protective Order than it was previously.

A protective order is for people who are married, live together or have children in common.

A Peace Order, on the other hand, is for people who are unrelated and are not living together. Peace Orders are often sought by neighbors or ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, etc.. The same forms of abuse apply as for Protective Orders.

If you feel that you may have the right to file for a Protective or Peace Order, or, if a Protective Order or Peace Order has been filed against you, you need a lawyer. Our Maryland Protective Order Attorneys and Peace Order Attorneys have been representing people for more than 20 years. Call today for a free office or phone consultation or send us an e-mail through our contact form. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What do I do if I'm in a car accident?

If you are involved in an automobile accident, you should never leave the scene; otherwise, you could face criminal charges. Your first step is to call an ambulance if someone has been injured. Make sure your vehicle is not creating a hazard to other motorists by moving it from traffic, when possible. Call the police and file an accident report. Never admit liability--this is a legal matter that will be investigated later. Be sure to collect the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses, or others involved in the accident. It is also a good idea to take photographs to document skid marks, vehicle damage, road obstructions, and injuries.

Then call us. We are Maryland accident lawyers who can help steer you in the right direction immediately. During work hours, call the office at (410) 766-4044, and after hours or weekends, call my cell at (443) 253-7713.

What do I do if the other driver's insurance company contacts me?

You are in no way obligated to speak to them. Politely decline to speak with the other driver's insurance company, give them your lawyer's name and contact information, and advise them to speak directly to your attorney from now on. It's important not to provide any information whatsoever to the at fault driver's insurance company, as they may try to lead you into saying something makes liability unclear or otherwise makes your case difficult to pursue.

Then call us. We are Maryland accident lawyers who can help steer you in the right direction immediately. During work hours, call the office at (410) 766-4044, and after hours or weekends, call my cell at (443) 253-7713.

Who is responsible for providing me with a rental car while my vehicle is being repaired?

The at-fault driver's insurance company should provide you with a rental car to drive while the repairs to your car are being made. Needless to say, this can be a big hassle if insurance company is disputing liability, or if they require time to authorize a rental. If you have rental car coverage on your own insurance company, you should contact your insurance company about getting them to provide you with a rental car, and let them directly seek reimbursement from the liable insurance provider.

Then call us. We are Maryland accident lawyers who can help steer you in the right direction immediately. During work hours, call the office at (410) 766-4044, and after hours or weekends, call my cell at (443) 253-7713.