What Happens if I Get a Speeding Ticket in Maryland?
September 22nd, 2020
Everybody knows it's wrong to speed, however, if you recently received a speeding ticket in Maryland, you are most likely now facing various penalties, including points on your license, fines, and spiked insurance premiums. Please continue reading and speak with our Maryland traffic violations attorney to learn more about speeding tickets in Maryland. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What is the basic speeding law in Maryland?
Maryland has two speeding laws: the basic speeding law and the absolute speeding law. The basic speeding law in Maryland states that all motorists must drive at a speed that, with regard to the actual and potential dangers existing, is more than that which is reasonable and prudent under the conditions. While this of course means following the speed limit, if there are additional conditions present, such as snow, you may receive a speeding ticket for violating Maryland's basic speeding law even while operating your vehicle within the posted speed limit if it is deemed that you are driving too fast for the current conditions. That being said, the absolute speeding law states that you can receive a speeding ticket for driving faster than a posted speed limit anywhere in the state.
What are the penalties for a speeding ticket in Maryland?
There are various penalties for speeding tickets in Maryland, and they are as follows:
- Violation of the basic speeding law: $90 fine and one point.
- Driving 1-9 miles per hour over the speed limit:$80 fine and one point.
- Driving 10-19 miles per hour over the speed limit:$90 fine and two points.
- Driving 20-29 miles per hour over the speed limit:$160 fine and two points.
- Driving 65-75 miles per hour by 10-19 miles per hour over the speed limit: $160 fine and two points.
- Driving 65-75 miles per hour by 20-29 miles per hour over the speed limit: $290 fine and five points.
- Driving 30-39 miles per hour over the speed limit: $290 fine and five points.
- Driving at least 40 miles per hour over the speed limit: $530 fine and five points.
Our Maryland traffic violations attorney can work to prove that the officer who ticketed you did not follow proper procedure. By doing so, we may have your ticket downgraded, or, in the best cases, dropped altogether.
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
Here at the Ruben Law Firm, we understand how much your legal situation means to you. That is why we pledge to provide you with the personalized attention you deserve, every step of the way. Our firm is more than happy to assist you through matters of personal injury law, bankruptcy, family law, criminal defense, and estate planning. Attorney Ruben has helped clients achieve favorable results in a wide array of legal matters for years, and he is ready to do the same for you. Simply contact the Ruben Law Firm today.
Categories: Traffic Violations