Damages for Car Accidents In Maryland

There are several types of damages you can claim after a car accident. You can claim medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of affection/companionship, and property damage.

Medical Bills

Damages for medical expenses are the most common form of compensation after a car accident. Medical expenses you can recover include:

  • physical therapy
  • ambulance frees
  • consultations with health care professional
  • accessories such as crutches or heat pads
  • permanent disability
  • in-home services
  • medications
  • doctor's office visit fees
  • likely costs for future treatment

You can recover medical expenses for injuries as small as scrapes and bruises, as well as injuries as serious as paralysis. If the accident results in a family member's death, surviving family members can sue for both medical expenses before the death and wrongful death. There is no maximum amount of medical expenses you can recover. It is important to save any documents you acquire in relation to your medical expenses (like bills) as evidence for the court.

Pain and Suffering

In Maryland you can recover for the emotional and physical pain and suffering you experience after an accident. Pan and suffering can include anxiety, stress and inconvenience. The court calculates pain and suffering based on the type of injury, the seriousness of the injury, and the likelihood of future pain.

The state of Maryland limits the amount of pain and suffering damages you can recover. The limit changes each year in response to inflation. For injuries that occur and claims that are filed between October 1, 2014 and October 1, 2015 the cap on pain and suffering for personal injury or wrongful death is $800,000.

Lost Wages

After an accident you may be too injured to work. In some cases you can recover damages for current and future lost wages. When determining damages for lost wages the court will look at occupation, age, skill and experience.

Loss of Affection /Companionship

If you are married you can recover damage for what courts call a loss of consortium. A loss of consortium is the loss of your spouse's ability to share affection and companionship including sexual activity. The uninjured spouse claims these damages.

Property Damage

Finally, you can recover for damage to your car resulting from the accident. Most of the time your insurance company determines and recovers these damages from the other driver's insurance company. You are entitled to the amount it costs to fix your car to its condition before the accident. If the cost to repair the damages to the car is more than the car is worth then your car is totaled. When you car is totaled you can recover the total value of the car.

We handle Maryland's car accident cases on a daily basis and we've been doing it for more than 20 years. Call the Law Offices of David L. Ruben today for a free consult (410) 766-4044.