Child Relocation in Maryland | What You Need to Know
October 6th, 2020
After a divorce, you may wish to relocate with your child, for one reason or another. This is perfectly fine, however, you must ensure you do so in accordance with the law, for if you do not, it may adversely impact your child custody agreement. Please continue reading and speak with our Maryland family law attorney to learn more about child relocation and how our firm can help you and your family. Here are some of the questions you may have:
Do I need court permission to relocate with my child?
The answer to this question largely depends on the distance by which you wish to relocate. If you are looking to move only a short while away and within state lines, there is a very good chance that you will not have to request court permission to relocate. However, if you are looking to move out of state or somewhere that would otherwise make it extremely challenging or unreasonable for your former spouse to abide by your initial child custody agreement, you must either receive your spouse's permission to move, or the courts must grant your request for child relocation.
What will Maryland courts consider when deciding on child relocation?
First, you should understand that Maryland courts will be primarily concerned with the best interests of your child. For this very reason, they will consider the following when determining whether you relocating with your child would benefit your child emotionally, economically, educationally, or socially:
- Your reasoning for requesting a relocation with your child
- Your spouse's reason for opposing that relocation
- Whether you are moving because you recently obtained a better, higher-paying job that could benefit you and your child
- Whether you are moving because you are looking to enroll in a university or higher education to benefit you and your child economically
- Whether you wish to move closer to, or farther away from extended family
- Whether you are moving because you or your child require specialized medical attention
- Whether you are moving in with a new partner or spouse
- Whether you are trying to escape some sort of danger, such as a dangerous neighborhood or former spouse
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
Here at the Ruben Law Firm, we understand how much your legal situation means to you. That is why we pledge to provide you with the personalized attention you deserve, every step of the way. Our firm is more than happy to assist you through matters of personal injury law, bankruptcy, family law, criminal defense, and estate planning. Attorney Ruben has helped clients achieve favorable results in a wide array of legal matters for years, and he is ready to do the same for you. Simply contact the Ruben Law Firm today.